The Student News Site of Illinois Wesleyan University

The Argus

The Argus

The Argus

The Argus

[instagram-feed]
Illinois Wesleyan needs to add more parking lots on campus
Ván Lé, Staff Writer • January 29, 2024

Since my first semester at Illinois Wesleyan, parking has always been difficult for me and other students...

Students are struggling to afford living in dorms on campus
Alexandria Green, Staff Writer • January 29, 2024

One of the things that I looked at when applying to Illinois Wesleyan were dorms, and the scholarships...

Proximity to whiteness is alive and real
Michael Ashton, Staff Writer • January 22, 2024

It's not a hidden fact that Wesleyan’s campus is mostly white. Compared to my high school and even...

The fit foodie

Tia Patsavas

Fueling Up for Next Weekend’s 5K Race

One of the best things about working out is the way it makes us feel. Rejuvenated. Invigorated. Free. The sense of accomplishment we feel after a workout—whether logging that extra mile or adding extra pounds to the weight machine—often seems good enough to keep us going for hours.

But all athletes know that it’s essential to maintain sustenance after a long workout—which will be especially important next Friday during the Fun, Run, Walk and Roll 5K on Constitution Trail.

To help you prepare for the race, check out these top five fit foods. Mix these superfood snacks into your diet during the week, and you’ll be even more ready to speed through to the finish line at the quad.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars

With this 4-ingredient recipe reminiscent of everyone’s favorite childhood sandwich, you’ll ditch those store-bought, processed granola bars for good.

You’ll need: Rolled oats, chopped pecans, honey, peanut butter, jelly. Place 1 c. oats and ¼ c. pecans in a bowl, set aside. Heat 1 T honey and ¼ c. peanut butter in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring for one minute. Remove from heat, and stir in 3 T jelly. Pour the oats and pecans into the peanut butter mixture, and stir together until well combined. Pour the mixture in a small pan (8×8 or smaller), and press down. Refrigerate for at least one hour before cutting into bars; keep refrigerated for freshness.

Breakfast Taco

Packed with protein and vitamins, this taco couldn’t be more different from Taco Bell’s unfortunate breakfast option.

You’ll need: Tortilla, cinnamon sugar, yogurt, fresh berries. Start with a tortilla, and sprinkle on 1 T cinnamon sugar. After warming it up in the oven, spread on your favorite yogurt. Top with fresh berries and roll it up for refreshing, on-the-go breakfast. 

Custom Trail Mix

This completely customizable trail mix is great to munch on after a run or during class. Whip up a big batch and you’ll have enough snacks for the week.

You’ll need: Nuts (walnuts, peanuts, pecans, almonds), seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, chia), dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, apricots), grains (cereal, granola, pretzels). Mix together any assortment of chopped-up nuts, seeds, dried fruit and grains. Want to indulge? Throw in some chocolate chips or M&Ms.

Avocado Spread

This spread is packed with healthy fats and essential vitamins and minerals—eat this after a workout to refuel. Use on your favorite toast, or add it to your sandwich as a healthy substitute for mayo.

You’ll need: Avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, crushed red pepper. Mash up an avocado until smooth. Mix in 1 T lemon juice, ½ T olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and crushed red pepper.

Frozen Banana Blast

Need something sweet as the day is winding down? This frozen banana can be made many ways, and is delicious as a snack or dessert.

You’ll need: Banana, chocolate or peanut butter, nuts, sprinkles or shredded coconut. Peel a banana, spread on your desired sauce, sprinkle on your favorite toppings and pop it in the freezer. In a few hours, you’ll have your own homemade (and healthy) frozen treat.