The Student News Site of Illinois Wesleyan University

The Argus

The Argus

The Argus

The Argus

[instagram-feed]
Illinois Wesleyan needs to add more parking lots on campus
Ván Lé, Staff Writer • January 29, 2024

Since my first semester at Illinois Wesleyan, parking has always been difficult for me and other students...

Students are struggling to afford living in dorms on campus
Alexandria Green, Staff Writer • January 29, 2024

One of the things that I looked at when applying to Illinois Wesleyan were dorms, and the scholarships...

Proximity to whiteness is alive and real
Michael Ashton, Staff Writer • January 22, 2024

It's not a hidden fact that Wesleyan’s campus is mostly white. Compared to my high school and even...

IWU men’s volleyball dominates with double wins

On January 21, the Illinois Wesleyan University men’s volleyball team kicked off their 2024 season with victories against the University of Olivet and Lakeland University.

In the first match, the Titans clinched a flawless victory against Olivet, with set scores of 25-23, 25-16, and 25-23. Senior Michael Eastman, performed 13 kills and a .600 attacking percentage. Junior Vince DiCosola orchestrated the offense with 13 assists and two aces, while the team’s defensive wall, featuring seniors Julian Perez and Javier Romano alongside junior Jake Kougan, notched crucial blocks. The team’s collective effort resulted in an all-around advantage in kills, 

In the second match, the Titans faced a challenge from Lakeland, trailing after the first two sets. They mounted a comeback, ultimately claiming victory in the third, fourth, and fifth sets. Eastman secured 18 kills and three aces, and freshman Brenden Reutter made a debut with his first double-double – 21 assists and 10 digs. Perez and junior Ryan Myers contributed eight kills a piece, with Myers achieving a .667 attacking percentage. Kougan secured seven kills and a career-high of six blocks in the match. Romana added five blocks, and Perez contributed four.

With an unblemished 2-0 record, Illinois Wesleyan eagerly anticipates their home opener against Rockford University on Tuesday, January 23, at the Shirk Center. Set your clocks for 7 p.m. as the Titans aim to build on their historic start and keep the momentum alive in the 2024 season.