Men’s Basketball

Steve Watts, Managing Editor

Illinois Wesleyan’s men’s basketball team took their second straight win on Saturday, Dec. 3 against the Carroll University Pioneers. The Titans won 73-59, improving their record to 4-3 (2-0) in the CCIW. 

Wesleyan continued to dominate play down low. The Titans outscored Carroll 42-18 in the paint. IWU also grabbed 38 boards, 12 of which were offensive and led to 18 second-chance points. Keeping in mind that the Titans won by 14, the second-chance points were a true difference maker in the game.

Sophomore forward Harrison Wilmsen led the Titans with 18 points. Wilmsen went 7-11 from the field in the game and made both of his free throw attempts. Wilmsen’s stellar shooting helped IWU to finish with a field goal percentage of 52.6. The second-year also earned seven rebounds on the night.

Sophomore guard Trey Bazzell also shot well on the day and scored 14 points. Bazzell went 4-6 from beyond the arc, earning more than half of the Titans’ seven threes in the game.

Senior forward Cody Mitchell earned a double-double in the game. Mitchell scored 14 points and grabbed a team-high 11 rebounds on the night. Senior guard Lucas Heflen added another 13 points to the Titans’ total.

The Green and White look to continue their win streak on Saturday, Dec. 10 against North Central. The Titans are undefeated in conference play and hope to start the season 3-0 in the CCIW. 

Over winter break the Titans will travel to Oregon for two games. On Thursday, Dec. 29 the team will face the Linfield University Wildcats in McMinnville. Then, the Titans will travel to Newberg for a game at George Fox University.