Women’s lacrosse knocks the wind from Bluejays’ wings

Emily Thompson, Sports Editor

The Illinois Wesleyan women’s lacrosse team demolished Elmhurst University on Wednesday, April 20. With the 25-1 overhaul, the Titans move up to 3-1 in College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin play. 

Sophomore Britney Maldonado dominated the field when she found Elmhurst’s net for six goals and provided two assists, tallying a collegiate career-high eight points. Maldonado also sparked the first in a game-opening five-point run for the Titans. 

Senior Cassandra Jones followed through on a Maldonado assist to close out IWU’s hot streak. The Bluejays managed their one and only goal of the game moments later, bringing the score to 5-1. 

But the Titans did not leave the four point lead for long before Maldonado added another point. Senior Landry Elliott closed out the first quarter with a final slam into the net, bringing the advantage to six. 

Junior Sarah Gleason was the next player to jumpstart a hot scoring streak. Following Gleason’s lead, the Titans cranked out five points in less than a minute, leading to a 12-1 edge and Bluejay timeout. 

The Titans refused to let up for the rest of the game, laying on another 13 points before the Bluejays were saved by the buzzer with a crushing 25-1 defeat. 

Both offense and defense brought their A-game to the field, with first-year goalie Lizzie Rymarscuk went six-for-six protecting the net.

The IWU women’s lacrosse team will take to the field again on Saturday, April 23 to face off against NCAA No. 20 University of Chicago. The game is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.