The Student News Site of Illinois Wesleyan University

The Argus

The Argus

The Argus

The Argus

[instagram-feed]
Illinois Wesleyan needs to add more parking lots on campus
Ván Lé, Staff Writer • January 29, 2024

Since my first semester at Illinois Wesleyan, parking has always been difficult for me and other students...

Students are struggling to afford living in dorms on campus
Alexandria Green, Staff Writer • January 29, 2024

One of the things that I looked at when applying to Illinois Wesleyan were dorms, and the scholarships...

Proximity to whiteness is alive and real
Michael Ashton, Staff Writer • January 22, 2024

It's not a hidden fact that Wesleyan’s campus is mostly white. Compared to my high school and even...

Thinning out the political herd

Alex Stogin, Business Manager

The crowded Republican primary field may be getting a little thinner. Recent news out of the Jeb Bush campaign shows signs of weakness within.

According to Politico, on Friday, Oct. 23 the Bush campaign announced they will cut payroll costs by 40 percent, shrink their Miami headquarters by 50 percent, reduce travel expenses by 20 percent and cut 45 percent of spending on things other than media and voter contact.

This sharp decrease in spending appears to highlight the growing struggle the campaign is having with keeping its head afloat.

While the campaign insists the restructuring is only a reallocation of resources, Bush supporters and donors are becoming worried and angry at how quickly the campaign is burning through its money. With a burn rate of 86 percent, Bush supporters are calling on the campaign to reel in its spending.

Given this situation, Bush should seriously consider taking a bow and stepping out of the race. Although he continues to be the face of the Republican establishment in the race, his lingering presence will make it harder for the entire Republican establishment voter and donor base to choose one strong candidate to fight Trump and Carson.

It would appear that Bush is trying to hold on long enough to become that candidate, but Marco Rubio is in a stronger position to take the slot. Rubio is currently third in the polls, behind Trump and Carson, making him the leading establishment candidate. Rubio’s positioning leaves Bush with a tough decision to make.

Bush’s fight against Rubio to be the establishment candidate may cause significant harm for the Republican Party. Of the 14 remaining primary candidates, the bottom eight are all of the establishment candidates, excluding Bush and Rubio.

Meanwhile, the top six consist of two CEOs (Fiorina and Trump), a neurosurgeon (Carson), a tea party candidate (Cruz) and the establishment Bush and Rubio. If this keeps up, the Republican Party will need to make a decision quickly on its candidate if members want to see Trump and Carson fall in the polls.

Bush, along with the bottom eight establishment candidates, need to analyze the reality of their campaigns winning the nomination and begin dropping out so that the party can stand strong behind one individual. The longer they all stay in the race, the longer Trump and Carson can run rampant in the polls.

Scott Walker, who was supposed to be a frontrunner, realized the struggles of his campaign and bowed out for the good of the party. It’s time for some other candidates to do the same.